Thursday, February 10, 2011

Finally - First Menu & Grocery List Posted!

Finally!  Its what you've been asking for...a menu and grocery list of what we are eating next week.  Actually, my week starts on Fridays after we are weighed in at our WW meeting.  That is also the night that our local Stop and Shop has 2 rotisserie chickens for $10 - so guess what meal I'm starting with!  Its great to not have to really cook on a Friday night.  So check out my menu tab, where you will find not only the menu for week one, but it has links to the recipes, and there is a grocery list page to copy and print.  If you have problems with that, just leave me a comment below with your e-mail address, and I'll e-mail you a printable copy.

Today started out with my least favorite breakfast - at least it used to be!  I've always liked oatmeal in cookies and cakes and muffins - but as cooked cereal - yuk!  I keep trying to make it every now and then to see if I can get past the texture, because I know its not the taste that turns me off.  Well, as I said yesterday, I am trying to empty my fridge to make room for the new menu for this week - so I still haven't bought my eggs - so today was the day to try cooked oatmeal again.

I cooked 1/2 cup of Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal in 1 cup of boiling water, to which I added a dash of salt, a couple drops of vanilla, a couple drops of maple extract and 1 tsp of raisins.  I stirred it all for 1 minute over medium heat and scooped it into my bowl.  I added some fresh granny smith apple peices, 1 T chopped walnuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top.  My goodness!  It was really good!  I at the whole serving for 5pp.  I think, by George, I've made it - I finally can down a whole serving of hot cereal.  That opens a whole new world of breakfast ideas for me.  Soon I will make Danica's Crockpot Steel Cut Oats with Peaches and Blueberries! and let you know what I think.  I put a link to her recipe for those of you who are already hot cereal lovers.

Lunch today was a repeat of yesterday because I wanted to finally get this first menu done - it was alot more work than I anticipated, so I ran out to McDonald's and bought myself a Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad with Southwest dressing for 11pp.  So good, its worth every point.  Today WAS different, though, because I forced myself to take a photo before I took a bite!

Dinner tonight is going to be a hodge-podge of leftovers because tomorrow is my grocery shopping night!  No pictures...sorry...can't guarantee they'd be as appetizing looking as they were when first cooked.  I'm printing out my menu, my grocery shopping list, and all the recipes ~ which I plan to put in page protectors in a 3 ring binder.  When week two is ready, I'll do the same with that...and so on.  Eventually we'll have a month of recipes...and then rotate them.

So what would you like to see on one of the weeks' menus?  I'm open to suggestions - and I have quite a bit in mind and already mapped out.  Comment below:

No comments:

Post a Comment