Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Creative Ways to Use a Rotisserie Chicken

One of my favorite things 'pre-made' at the grocery store is the rotisserie chicken.  That being said, you really have to know which grocer uses good chickens.  In our area you will find the biggest chickens and the best value at Sam's Club...followed by Stop and Shop's Friday special - 2 for $10 (not quite as big, but still a decent size). Probably the most disappointing ones I have found were at ShopRite...they were so small that when I recently purchased the two 'largest' they had just coming out of the oven...I found they barely fed my family of 3 with any leftovers. If you know me at all, you know that when I buy rotisserie chickens - which I buy in "pairs", I usually plan to get at least 3 meals from them!  Here's how:
First - we really love to eat it fresh from the store.  The meat is moist, hot and really good!  Add some quick pre-made mashed potatoes (Shed's Country Crock, for example) which can be heated in the microwave for 5 minutes while you cook up a quick green veggie to round out the meal.  White meat chicken is 1pp/oz; Mashed potatoes 5pp/cup depending on variety you choose; veggies 0pp...my dinner with 4 oz of chicken breast would be 9pp - leaving me extra points for dessert!  My family really loves this, and its a great meal for a Friday night because it gives me a much needed night off from cooking, it can be on the table quickly so we can run out to catch a movie...you name it!

Next comes the best two parts...1) I remove all the leftover meat from the bones -you'll see why in a moment; and 2) I make a great chicken stock (boil the bones with a cup up onion and some celery leaves) to freeze for soups, casseroles, etc. 

Here's my list for some uses for the leftovers:

  • Sliced for sandwiches such as the classic cold chicken with lettuce, tomato and mayo on whole wheat bread, put it in a wrap or grilled with cheese and avocado or tomato 
  • Made into a variety of chicken salads (Curried Chicken Salad, Tarragon Chicken Salad, Oriental Chicken Salad - you get the idea) and make a summer salad plate with sides of potato salad, coleslaw and fruit
  • Serve it warm or cold on top of a mixed green salad along with some beans, corn, salsa, croutons, cheese...get creative! Southwestern style, Ceasar style, or make your own buffet style!
  • Use it in a variety of southwestern recipes: burritos, tacos, fajitas, enchaladas, etc.
  • Bake it in a quiche.
  • Shred and add BBQ sauce for a pulled chicken sandwich
  • Toss with some alfredo sauce over pasta
  • Use to make a pot pie, soup, chicken divan or other similar casserole
  • How about brushing some tomato sauce, bbq sauce or buffalo wing sauce on a pre-made pizza crust (like Boboli), add the chicken and a low fat shredded mozzarella cheese for a quick pizza?
  • Chicken Chili with white beans...use your favorite recipe!

These are some of my favorite ways to stretch a chicken...now its your turn to tell us yours!

Also - where can you find the best rotisserie chickens in your area?

1 comment:

  1. Just learning how to live with PP, and you have wonderful ideas! (I love Stop & Shop's 'cheap chicken friday!). Time to follow and read and learn! If I get an idea, I'll toss it in, promise. But, as the FlyLady says regarding housework, baby steps!

    ReplyDelete