Next comes the best two parts...1) I remove all the leftover meat from the bones -you'll see why in a moment; and 2) I make a great chicken stock (boil the bones with a cup up onion and some celery leaves) to freeze for soups, casseroles, etc.
Here's my list for some uses for the leftovers:
- Sliced for sandwiches such as the classic cold chicken with lettuce, tomato and mayo on whole wheat bread, put it in a wrap or grilled with cheese and avocado or tomato
- Made into a variety of chicken salads (Curried Chicken Salad, Tarragon Chicken Salad, Oriental Chicken Salad - you get the idea) and make a summer salad plate with sides of potato salad, coleslaw and fruit
- Serve it warm or cold on top of a mixed green salad along with some beans, corn, salsa, croutons, cheese...get creative! Southwestern style, Ceasar style, or make your own buffet style!
- Use it in a variety of southwestern recipes: burritos, tacos, fajitas, enchaladas, etc.
- Bake it in a quiche.
- Shred and add BBQ sauce for a pulled chicken sandwich
- Toss with some alfredo sauce over pasta
- Use to make a pot pie, soup, chicken divan or other similar casserole
- How about brushing some tomato sauce, bbq sauce or buffalo wing sauce on a pre-made pizza crust (like Boboli), add the chicken and a low fat shredded mozzarella cheese for a quick pizza?
- Chicken Chili with white beans...use your favorite recipe!
These are some of my favorite ways to stretch a chicken...now its your turn to tell us yours!
Also - where can you find the best rotisserie chickens in your area?