Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Carrot Salad and more...

I had a request today for the recipe for my carrot salad.  You remember - the one I had yesterday for lunch?

I have to admit that I've been making it pretty much the same way my mom did for years, except that now with Weight Watchers I have begun measuring the points as I whip it up.  Basically, this is a great way to use up carrots that are just beginning to lose some of their crunch...or for bolstering up a meal with some low points plus and color.  To make my carrot salad, I took handfuls of baby carrots and chopped them in my mini food processor (I prefer to grate regular carrots, but all I had were the baby ones, and they are tricky to grate!  I would say I had about 1 cup of chopped carrots to start with.  To that I added 1/4 cup of regular raisins(3pp), although golden raisins are equally as good.  I added 4 Tbsp of Hellman's lite mayonnaise (4pp), one at a time, and stirred it until it was all moistened.  I seasoned it with a little salt and pepper to taste.  Put it back in the fridge for an hour or so until chilled through and flavors blend.  Its pretty basic and simple, but yummy.  Makes me think of my mom ;0)  The total points plus was 7 - and I split it with Chuck - but I took the 4 points because of all the 'tasting' I did to make sure it was seasoned enough.

Remember I started my day not feeling it...right?  It pretty much kept up that way all day long.  I didn't really even want to go out the door to work...but some days you gotta do what you gotta do.  Feeling pretty much uninspired, I grabbed some cheese, crackers, salsa, guacamole and baked Tostito's Scoops...I figured I'd just snack my points away today.
I really like this to munch on at my desk, anyways, since I don't need a fork and I don't have to lick my fingers when I'm done ;0)  I had 4 peices of cheese for 1pp each, and 8 Wheatables Nut Crisps for 2pp and a small bunch of grapes for 0pp.  You read it right - 8 crackers for 2points plus!  Tasty!!

They come in several flavors - just be sure to run the nutritional info through your points plus calculator because some flavors give you 9 crackers for 2points plus!  Oh, and Weight Watchers has put a calculator on their website for your convenience:

All you need to calculate points plus is the protein grams, carbohydrates, total fat grams and the fiber - the calculator will tell you how many points per serving.

Have you tried cracker cuts yet?  Many companies are coming out with a variation of these - 30 slices of cheese in a pack - each slice is just 1pp!  Makes it easy to figure out how many you want on your plate.
I store mine on the refrigerator door where my butter tray used to be!  This was filling, so I totally skipped the chips, guacamole and salsa- they'll be there tomorrow!

We left the office late today and had a meeting to be at by 7:30...so there was little time for cooking dinner, but I had a pork tenderloin defrosted that solved that problem.
My camera does not have a great zoom, but up in the right hand corner of the label it says 30 minutes to cook!  So I put it the Teriyaki marinated pork in the oven, heated up some pre-cooked wild rice and
some frozen zucchini...and that was dinner.  We each had 3 oz of pork (3pp), 1/2 cup of wild rice (2pp) and 1 cup of zucchini (0pp) with a little butter spray and salt and pepper - and ran out the door as soon as we finished...no time for a photo of the finished product, sorry!  Part of the reason we had to leave so fast is that Chuck had to run by Fed Ex to sign for his new I-Phone 4 from Verizon.  He's playing with it as I type...and its after midnight!  Its getting late for me, so I'm headed to bed in hopes to feel more like a real day of points plus living when I wake up!

How was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment