Thursday, February 10, 2011

Asian Glazed Drumsticks

Sorry I missed posting yesterday - I am working hard on putting together a variety of recipes and menus for you and I am getting so close to start posting them, that I lost track of my day.  I even forgot to track what I ate yesterday on my WW e-Tools, but thank goodness for photos, I could put it all in my tracker today!

Yesterday started out with one of my favorite breakfasts again - the one I usually save for the weekends ;0)
2 Nutri-Grain Waffles, toasted (4pp), 1 Tbsp Blueberry Syrup (1pp), variety of berries (0pp) and fat free whipped cream (0pp)
Total points+ for breakfast = 5pp! Do you remember the handy little chart on page 60 of your WW Getting Started booklet?  It is really helpful to know your numbers ~ for my 29 pp per day, it suggests I break it down like this:
Breakfast - 5pp
Lunch - 8pp
Dinner - 11pp
Snack - 3pp
Snack -2pp

So I hit my target to start my day.  Keep in mind that this chart is just a general guideline to help you, but I find that for me, it really keeps me from getting so hungry I could eat everything in the fridge!  Remember those days on the old WW program?  I sure do!  That is one reason I'm loving this new program - I'm getting a real education in how to do it right.  So why not take a look at that chart again today and memorize what your target should be and how you should break it down, meal by meal?

We had a late lunch planned, so I DID have a snack, however a small one.  I just grabbed a peice of cheese from the office fridge for 1pp:

I had the Original Swiss, but the Garlic and Herb is really good, too.  Easy to buy, store, grab and go!

Lunch was a little tricky today.  I have been putting off going to the grocery store because I'm finding that my refrigerator is constantly filled to the brim on this program (is it just me, or are you finding the same thing?), so I want to try to empty it some.  Besides, I have to make room for all the food for my first week's menu I'm about to post, right?  With what was left in the fridge, I just didn't have the inspiration for what to take to work...so we decided to go out for lunch - nothing fancy - just let someone else do the work.  We went to our local McDonald's for a salad.  Mine was the Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken Breast...which they describe as:
Our hottest salad yet: fresh-grilled chicken, fresh mixed greens, oven-roasted tomatoes, fire-roasted corn, savory black beans, poblano peppers, shredded cheddar and jack cheeses, chili lime tortilla strips and a fresh-sliced lime wedge on the side.
They serve it with a nice southwestern dressing on the side - total pp for the entire thing = 11!  So I am over my 'target' points for lunch, but I'll look at it as my 8pp lunch and a 3pp snack rolled into one.  I really love this salad.  Chuck, on the other hand, had the Cesar Salad with a grilled chicken breast.  His points totalled 12, but he gets more to start with each day - so he was well within his target!  Sorry, no photos of lunch.

I already had plans for our dinner. I had a package of drumsticks defrosting, so I knew we wanted to have the Asian Glazed Drumsticks again.  This recipe was a real hit with the family - it smells incredible while its cooking and everyone makes their way into the kitchen to check it out and comment.  I love when that happens!  I cooked some brown rice and broccoli to have with it.

Asian Glazed Drumsticks (2 for 5pp), brown rice (1/2 cup for 3pp), broccoli (0pp)

Dinner total was 8pp for me - Chuck had a full cup of rice for a total of 10pp for dinner!  I again forgot to snap a shot of one of my favorite parts of dinner - the dessert!  While the sauce for the drumsticks was cooking down to a glaze, I cut up a fresh pineapple into a huge bowl of snacking goodness.  We were really full, and we had planned on watching a movie we got from Netflix (Wall Street), so we just took the bowl into the livingroom and 'grazed' on it instead of popcorn or pretzels.  The whole bowl was gone before the movie was ;0)

I am hoping to have another post later today, and perhaps my first weekly menu of dinners with a grocery list.  I don't plan to include breakfasts or lunches on the menu, because not everyone eats breakfast (although you should) and many people eat lunch 'out'...but I'll plan on doing something to inspire you for those meals in the weeks to come!

Homework: memorize your 'suggested daily Points Plus Targets breakdown by meals'.  You can do it - its only 6 numbers - your target #, 3 meals, and 2 snacks.  Got it?  If you need help determining your numbers, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment