Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easy Fried Rice -slightly modified!

Hey All - thanks for thinking of me and my recovery.  My jaw is still a little sore, but I'm on the mend.  I actually had some hot coffee today (supposed to avoid going from cold to hot and back - as well as avoiding spicy foods).

I started out the day with my favorite combination - egg, onion and peppers.  The only thing that is better than that is when you add a potato!
One egg (2pp) with some sauteed green pepper and onions (0pp)...add a banana (0pp) and a cup of coffee with fat free 1/2 n 1/2 (0pp).

Lunch today was an effort to clean out the office fridge.  We are moving our office this weekend - so the more we get rid of before Saturday, the better!

This poor, lonely wrap cried out for a pickle, but I left the new jar at home until after the move.  Rats!

By the time we got home, dinner really needed to be quick.  I had a huge container of leftover brown rice that I intended for fried rice - and since we had leftover pork tenderloin - it became "Pork Fried Rice".  I simply modified the recipe for Easy Fried Rice from the WW Getting Started Booklet. 

EASY FRIED RICE
Makes 6 servings...4 PointsPlus per serving

2 sprays of cooking spray
2 - large eggs, lighty beaten
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup scallions, sliced and divided
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or to taste

Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Warm pan over medium high heat. Add eggs - tilting pan so that the eggs cover the bottom.

When eggs start to set, break them up into pieces with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon.  Cook eggs until cooked through -about 1 minute more - then remove from skillet and set aside.

Off heat, recoat same skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat.  Add carrots and all but 2 Tbsp scallions; saute until carrots are crisp-tender; about 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in cooked rice, peas, and soy sauce; cook until heated through, stirring once or twice, about 1 minute.  Gently stir in cooked egg and remaining scallions; heat through.  Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.

(Just for the record - I had no frozen peas...and added 9.5 oz of cubed leftover pork to make it a main dish.  Since there are three of us in our household, we each had a double portion at 10pp each!)

5 comments:

  1. Oh the rice looks delicious. I should really take a better look at my WW books for recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Carolynne: Thanks! Not the best photo, but it WAS delicious and EASY! It helps to make extra rice earlier in the week and use the leftovers for this recipe! I'm working on a summer grilling menu for this site...can't wait to start cooking outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, just found your site via Denise's blogroll. HAD to comment and say "thank you". I'll be back to visit often, your recipes look great. all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Roz! I am excited everytime I hear from a new reader. Please feel free to let me know what you'd like to see added to this blog that would help you personally - likely it will help others, too. Glad you like the site, and thanks for saying so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to make the fried rice! yours looks great :] Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete