Makes 8 servings PointsPlus: 5
1 Tbsp butter
1 medium RED onion(s), thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
2 pound(s) Yukon Gold potato(es), thinly sliced
1 cup(s) low-fat shredded SHARP cheddar cheese (grate your own as it melts better)
1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt or sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepperINSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour; then add milk slowly, stirring.
3. Add potatoes and stir to mix. Bring to a boil. Stir in 3/4 cup of the sharp cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp of the shredded parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
4. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and level out surface. Bake for 1 hour, uncovered. Cover and bake until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes more.
5. Change oven temperature to broil. Sprinkle remaining cheese over potatoes. Broil 6 inches from the heating element until the cheese is golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING
Calories 183.6, Total Fat 5.3 g, Saturated Fat 3.2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g, Cholesterol 16.8 mg, Sodium 315.1 mg, Potassium 708.7 mg, Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g, Dietary Fiber 2.7 g, Sugars 2.4 g, Protein 10.7 g